POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radiosity lighting again : Re: Radiosity lighting again Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:17:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity lighting again
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 31 Mar 2004 15:23:53
Message: <406b28d9@news.povray.org>
Bryan Valencia wrote:

> I'm trying an outside scene on a cloudy day... it's the grass scene I have
> been posting.
>
> But the sky_sphere is always beautifully lit, while the rest of the scene is
> essentially black.
>
> Here are my settings, what's wrong?
> global_settings {
>  assumed_gamma .8
>  ambient_light rgb .3
>
>     radiosity {
>       pretrace_start 0.08
>       pretrace_end   0.01
>       count 500
>
>       nearest_count 10
>       error_bound 0.02
>       recursion_limit 1
>
>       low_error_factor 0.2
>       gray_threshold 0.0
>       minimum_reuse 0.015
>       brightness 1
>
>       adc_bailout 0.01/2
>     }

I'm going to go ahead and partly disagree with everyone here... ;D

First, the ambient_light global setting doesn't set a default ambient
finish (that's what #default is for); it sets an ambient multiplier. So
if you're using ambient finishes ANYWHERE in your scene, they will be
multiplied by .3. If this is affecting your sky_sphere, that would be
the cause of your problem.

Second, your count is way too high for an outdoor scene with a large
open sky; you're wasting a lot of cycles on quality that you probably
can't see. Try using 100 or less (30 would be plenty for test renders)
and don't increase it unless artifacting is a problem with the settings
you're using for the final render.

Likewise, your error_bound is way too low for most outdoor scenes;
pretty much anything below .3 or so is only useful if you want really
detailed radiosity shadows. Try a setting of .5 or so.

Your low_error_factor can probably be set to 1, especially if you decide
to use a smaller error_bound. (Go look it up.)

Some people on these groups will recommend a ridiculously high
recursion_limit. Don't listen to them, they're fools. Most outdoor
scenes with wide open skies can get by with a recursion_limit of 1;
indoor scenes will usually be fine with a recursion_limit of 2. The
difference between 2 and 3 in most scenes is nearly invisible, and
higher settings are useless for anything except *very* indirect
lighting.. and even then, you'd probably want 16-bit output and
post-processing to make any use of the data.

-Xplo